- 2019 Quality Hero Awards
April 5, 2019
At the 2019 Heroes Recognition Dinner for Patient Safety and Quality Week, faculty, residents and staff were recognized for their attention to creating a safe and clean environment. UF Department...
- UF Health performed Florida-record 70 lung transplants in 2018, maintaining excellent patient outcomes
March 6, 2019
UF Health’s stature as one of the nation’s leading lung transplant centers continued to grow in 2018 as its surgeons and supporting personnel performed a Florida-record 70 transplants, surpassing...
- Procedure introduced by UF Health is shown to be durable and effective in Marfan syndrome patients with aortic root aneurysm
March 4, 2019
UF Health has been using the Florida Sleeve procedure and recently published encouraging short- and mid-term results from a cohort of patients with this problem.
- UF Health cardiologists show that socioeconomics do not influence clinical outcomes after VAD
March 1, 2019
Survival, 30-day readmission, complications of device support and prolonged implant length of stay, or LOS, were among the outcomes unaffected by SES.
- UF Health is a leader in Cardiovascular Care
February 27, 2019
University of Florida Health physicians are involved in leading-edge clinical care and research that are moving forward the boundaries of cardiovascular disease prevention, diagnosis and care.
- UF Health team successfully performed transcarotid endovascular repair of an ascending aorta pseudoaneurysm
February 25, 2019
A review of endovascular repair of an ascending aorta pseudoaneurysm in a patient with contraindications to traditional approaches.
- UF Health surgeon offers improved survival with repair of aortic arch disease
February 22, 2019
A study led by cardiothoracic surgeons at the University of Florida College of Medicine has shown that, when compared with two-stage repair of the aortic arch, the frozen elephant trunk procedure,...
- Genetic Counselor Joins UF Health Aortic Disease Center
October 25, 2018
The UF Department of Surgery welcomes Jill Hendrickson as the UF Health Aortic Disease Center’s genetic counselor. She will work alongside Dr. Tomas Martin, director of the Center, and help...
- Nikia’s Second Chance
September 14, 2018
Read the incredible story of the heroic efforts by numerous University of Florida Health teams who saved Nikia, a girl with injuries so severe, the medical experts said, “She shouldn’t […]
- Pediatric and adult ECMO program earns international award
August 7, 2018
UF Health teams who operate unique machines that help keep patients alive at their most vulnerable moments have been honored with an international award for excellence.
- UF Health Ramps Up Lung ICU
August 7, 2018
Lung patients in the region may soon be able to breathe easier, literally. University of Florida Health is ramping up its new thoracic and vascular intensive care unit, which surgeons […]
- High-Tech Hospitals
May 23, 2018
At the heart of UF Health’s two new hospitals are their ORs – surgical suites packed with the latest technology.
- ECMO restores Florida man to health after severe flu diagnosis
December 29, 2017
For most of his career as a lineman with Duke Energy, David Goff has climbed tall utility poles to inspect and repair high-voltage wires. It is a tough job that […]
- UF Health launches advertising campaign featuring two surgeons
December 19, 2017
Dr. Thomas Beaver and Dr. Lisa Spiguel are two of the four physicians featured in the new UF Health advertising campaign, focused on problem-solving care.
- In The News: UF Health Heart & Vascular and Neuromedicine hospitals have hybrid ORs that allow for better patient care
November 6, 2017
Sunlight streams into the new UF Health Heart & Vascular and Neuromedicine hospitals through wall-to-wall windows. Artwork by locals like John Moran and hospital employees hang on the walls, and...
- University of Florida heart, surgery program at Halifax Health earns accreditation
October 23, 2017
The University of Florida Health Heart and Vascular Surgery Program at Halifax Health was granted a three-year term of accreditation by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission in Vascular Testing...
- ‘Help a Hero’
October 12, 2017
Josh Pickering, a U.S. Navy veteran and senior biochemistry major at the University of Florida has been awarded a Fall 2017 “Sport Clips Help a Hero Scholarship” by the Veterans […]
- A closer look: UF Health Heart & Vascular and Neuromedicine hospitals
August 25, 2017
On Dec. 10, the doors to the UF Health Heart & Vascular and Neuromedicine hospitals will open for patients. The new hospitals consolidate focused care in one building.
- General surgery resident receives research grant from the American Lung Association
August 1, 2017
David Hall, M.D., a fifth-year general surgery resident in the University of Florida College of Medicine, has received a grant through the American Lung Association for research that could...
- Olusola Oduntan, M.D., FACS, FCCP, joins division of cardiovascular and thoracic surgery
July 6, 2017
Olusola Oduntan, M.D., FACS, FCCP, has joined the University of Florida College of Medicine as an associate professor in the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. Oduntan completed an...
- Read the Spring 2017 issue of The Stitch
April 27, 2017
- Mauricio Pipkin, M.D., joins division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
April 17, 2017
Mauricio Pipkin, M.D., has joined the University of Florida College of Medicine as an assistant professor in the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. Pipkin earned his medical degree from...
- Extending a life with a lung transplant
March 30, 2017
An uncontrollable cough led Tampa Bay-area resident Mike Preston to seek medical attention. Preston visited his primary care physician and specialists to find out the cause. Within five months,...
- George John Arnaoutakis, M.D., joins division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
January 11, 2017
George John Arnaoutakis, M.D., has joined the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine. He is an assistant professor. Arnaoutakis earned his...
- Read the Fall 2016 issue of The Stitch
November 1, 2016
- Beating the odds: Ronny’s story
October 21, 2016
In March, Ronald “Ronny” Pruitt, the head football coach for Union County High School in Lake Butler, and his wife, Robin, packed their bags for a spring break trip to […]
- XVIVO Lung Perfusion System increases transplant options
September 2, 2016
Robin Thomas lived one struggling breath at a time. Diagnosed with end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, her only option for survival was a lung transplant. However, the odds of finding...
- Read the Summer 2016 issue of The Stitch
August 7, 2016
- UF Health Shands Hospital tied for top in state in 2016 U.S. News hospital rankings
August 2, 2016
- Breathing easier after lung transplant
April 28, 2016
Tiago Machuca, M.D., Ph.D., an assistant professor of surgery at the University of Florida College of Medicine, recently performed UF Health’s first lung transplants using organs treated on the...
- UF Department of Surgery names thoracic oncology director
March 2, 2016
Vincent C. Daniel, M.D., was named director of thoracic oncology at UF Health by the UF Department of Surgery. He is also an associate professor of surgery in the division […]
- Four new surgeons join the UF department of surgery
January 27, 2016
Jessica Cioffi, MD, is an assistant professor in the division of general surgery at the UF College of Medicine. She specializes in pancreatic, biliary and liver surgery. Dr. Cioffi earned […]
- A passion for surgery: Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H.
December 10, 2015
For some, the annual eighth-grade frog dissection is a source of anxiety, squeamishness and lengthy permission slips. For Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., it was a moment of revelation.
- New faculty member joins thoracic and cardiovascular division
July 28, 2015
Teng C. Lee, MD, has joined the UF department of surgery as an assistant professor of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery as well as co-director for the UF Health Aorta Center. […]
- UF Department of Surgery Debuts Progress Report
May 26, 2015
- UF surgeons honored at College of Medicine faculty appreciation event
May 8, 2015
Three UF surgeons were recognized at the UF College of Medicine faculty appreciation event held in April at the UF president’s home. Tim Flynn, M.D., a professor in the department […]
- New faculty member, thoracic surgeon joins division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
April 22, 2015
Tiago N. Machuca, M.D., Ph.D., is an assistant professor of surgery at the University of Florida College of Medicine. Dr. Machuca joined the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery after...
- UF Health Shands Transplant Center testing new device for rehabilitating donated lungs
March 20, 2015
The UF Health Shands Transplant Center is testing a new approach that could improve the viability of many donated lungs, allowing more of them to be used and shortening the […]
- UF Health breaks ground for new Heart & Vascular Hospital, Neuromedicine Hospital
January 23, 2015
University of Florida Health broke ground today for the UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital and the UF Health Neuromedicine Hospital, a $415 million project that will give rise to […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – Gainesville Sun: Shands Children’s Hospital improves in national rankings
June 12, 2014
UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital rated high nationally in several specialties as U.S. News & World Report released its annual ranking of pediatric centers Tuesday. The hospital was...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV 20: Ventricular Assist Device Gives New Hope to Patients with Heart Failure
February 27, 2014
February is American Heart Month. If you’re a patient waiting for a new heart, you’re in a race against the clock. Finding an organ match before time runs out is […]
- UF Health opens pediatric cardiac intensive care unit
January 17, 2014
UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital celebrated the grand opening of its pediatric cardiac intensive care unit Friday (Jan. 10). The unit’s transformation from administrative offices to advanced...
- Long-time UF surgeon becomes chief of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
December 3, 2013
Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., has been named the new chief of the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at UF Health, within the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery. […]
- UF Health marks 100th transcatheter aortic valve replacement as program growth continues
September 30, 2013
For Rosalie Youngerman, the chance to get a new aortic valve without open-heart surgery was literally a lifesaver. In July, Youngerman became the 100th person at the University of Florida […]
- U.S. News ranks UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital as one of nation’s best
June 12, 2013
The University of Florida Health Shands Children’s Hospital has been recognized as one of the nation’s best hospitals for children in six medical specialties, including, for the first time ever,...
- In the Loupes: Surgery in Africa
May 15, 2013
By Tomas Martin, M.D. Professor of surgery When you think of Africa, you probably think of jungles, lions, monkeys, gazelles, elephants and wide-open savannahs. What you...
- Ten UF surgeons named “top doctors”
October 2, 2012
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show 10 UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization...
- Pioneering UF heart surgeon passes away
September 19, 2012
A pioneering University of Florida heart surgeon whose team performed Florida’s first open-heart surgery in 1959 has passed away. Myron W. “Bill” Wheat Jr., M.D., died on Wednesday, Sept. 12,...
- Faculty promotions and tenure news
July 24, 2012
Congratulations to Steven Hughes, M.D., an associate professor and chief of the department of surgery’s division of general surgery, on earning tenure; and to Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., with the...
- Shands at UF ranked nationally in seven specialties
July 18, 2012
Seven medical specialty programs at Shands at the University of Florida are recognized among the nation’s best in the 2012-2013 U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals rankings, which were...