- George John Arnaoutakis, M.D., joins division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
January 11, 2017
George John Arnaoutakis, M.D., has joined the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine. He is an assistant professor. Arnaoutakis earned his...
- Read the Fall 2016 issue of The Stitch
November 1, 2016
- Beating the odds: Ronny’s story
October 21, 2016
In March, Ronald “Ronny” Pruitt, the head football coach for Union County High School in Lake Butler, and his wife, Robin, packed their bags for a spring break trip to […]
- XVIVO Lung Perfusion System increases transplant options
September 2, 2016
Robin Thomas lived one struggling breath at a time. Diagnosed with end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, her only option for survival was a lung transplant. However, the odds of finding...
- Read the Summer 2016 issue of The Stitch
August 7, 2016
- UF Health Shands Hospital tied for top in state in 2016 U.S. News hospital rankings
August 2, 2016
- Breathing easier after lung transplant
April 28, 2016
Tiago Machuca, M.D., Ph.D., an assistant professor of surgery at the University of Florida College of Medicine, recently performed UF Health’s first lung transplants using organs treated on the...
- UF Department of Surgery names thoracic oncology director
March 2, 2016
Vincent C. Daniel, M.D., was named director of thoracic oncology at UF Health by the UF Department of Surgery. He is also an associate professor of surgery in the division […]
- Four new surgeons join the UF department of surgery
January 27, 2016
Jessica Cioffi, MD, is an assistant professor in the division of general surgery at the UF College of Medicine. She specializes in pancreatic, biliary and liver surgery. Dr. Cioffi earned […]
- A passion for surgery: Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H.
December 10, 2015
For some, the annual eighth-grade frog dissection is a source of anxiety, squeamishness and lengthy permission slips. For Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., it was a moment of revelation.
- New faculty member joins thoracic and cardiovascular division
July 28, 2015
Teng C. Lee, MD, has joined the UF department of surgery as an assistant professor of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery as well as co-director for the UF Health Aorta Center. […]
- UF Department of Surgery Debuts Progress Report
May 26, 2015
- UF surgeons honored at College of Medicine faculty appreciation event
May 8, 2015
Three UF surgeons were recognized at the UF College of Medicine faculty appreciation event held in April at the UF president’s home. Tim Flynn, M.D., a professor in the department […]
- New faculty member, thoracic surgeon joins division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
April 22, 2015
Tiago N. Machuca, M.D., Ph.D., is an assistant professor of surgery at the University of Florida College of Medicine. Dr. Machuca joined the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery after...
- UF Health Shands Transplant Center testing new device for rehabilitating donated lungs
March 20, 2015
The UF Health Shands Transplant Center is testing a new approach that could improve the viability of many donated lungs, allowing more of them to be used and shortening the […]
- UF Health breaks ground for new Heart & Vascular Hospital, Neuromedicine Hospital
January 23, 2015
University of Florida Health broke ground today for the UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital and the UF Health Neuromedicine Hospital, a $415 million project that will give rise to […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – Gainesville Sun: Shands Children’s Hospital improves in national rankings
June 12, 2014
UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital rated high nationally in several specialties as U.S. News & World Report released its annual ranking of pediatric centers Tuesday. The hospital was...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV 20: Ventricular Assist Device Gives New Hope to Patients with Heart Failure
February 27, 2014
February is American Heart Month. If you’re a patient waiting for a new heart, you’re in a race against the clock. Finding an organ match before time runs out is […]
- UF Health opens pediatric cardiac intensive care unit
January 17, 2014
UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital celebrated the grand opening of its pediatric cardiac intensive care unit Friday (Jan. 10). The unit’s transformation from administrative offices to advanced...
- Long-time UF surgeon becomes chief of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
December 3, 2013
Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., has been named the new chief of the division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at UF Health, within the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery. […]
- UF Health marks 100th transcatheter aortic valve replacement as program growth continues
September 30, 2013
For Rosalie Youngerman, the chance to get a new aortic valve without open-heart surgery was literally a lifesaver. In July, Youngerman became the 100th person at the University of Florida […]
- U.S. News ranks UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital as one of nation’s best
June 12, 2013
The University of Florida Health Shands Children’s Hospital has been recognized as one of the nation’s best hospitals for children in six medical specialties, including, for the first time ever,...
- In the Loupes: Surgery in Africa
May 15, 2013
By Tomas Martin, M.D. Professor of surgery When you think of Africa, you probably think of jungles, lions, monkeys, gazelles, elephants and wide-open savannahs. What you...
- Ten UF surgeons named “top doctors”
October 2, 2012
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show 10 UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization...
- Pioneering UF heart surgeon passes away
September 19, 2012
A pioneering University of Florida heart surgeon whose team performed Florida’s first open-heart surgery in 1959 has passed away. Myron W. “Bill” Wheat Jr., M.D., died on Wednesday, Sept. 12,...
- Faculty promotions and tenure news
July 24, 2012
Congratulations to Steven Hughes, M.D., an associate professor and chief of the department of surgery’s division of general surgery, on earning tenure; and to Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., with the...
- Shands at UF ranked nationally in seven specialties
July 18, 2012
Seven medical specialty programs at Shands at the University of Florida are recognized among the nation’s best in the 2012-2013 U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals rankings, which were...
- Meldrum named associate editor-in-chief of Shock and inducted into the American Surgical Association
June 22, 2012
Daniel R. Meldrum, M.D., a professor and chief of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at the University of Florida department of surgery, is now associate editor-in-chief of the journal Shock. Meldrum...
- Newly recognized syndrome keeps patients from full recovery, UF researchers say
June 11, 2012
University of Florida researchers have identified a medical condition they say keeps many intensive care, heart surgery and burn patients from recovering fully and returning home. Called persistent...
- A new aortic valve
May 23, 2012
Bob Bjurstrom knew for more than 20 years that he had aortic stenosis, a condition in which the aortic valve narrows. Over time, this requires the heart to work harder […]
- UF names Dr. Daniel Meldrum the new chief of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery
March 27, 2012
Daniel R. Meldrum, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.H.A., joined the University of Florida department of surgery’s division of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery as a professor and chief on March 1. He will...
- Keeping up with the grandkids
March 20, 2012
When Dan Fulford needed heart surgery in August 2010 to stop his atrial fibrillation, he didn’t mind that he would be only the third person to undergo a hybrid Mini-Maze […]
- Learn about atrial fibrillation, aortic valve stenosis treatments at Healthy Advantage event
February 9, 2012
Hear from UF specialists about the latest advances in medicine at this free event.
- UF surgeons among national leaders in endovascular aortic disease repairs
February 9, 2012
UF&Shands is one of the nation’s premier destinations for endovascular treatment of aortic aneurysms and dissections. Endovascular repairs are minimally invasive and do not require the large...
- UF cardiologists, surgeons team up to offer life-extending procedure
January 27, 2012
For patients who have severe narrowing of the aortic valve, a condition known as aortic stenosis, standard treatment is surgical replacement of the damaged valve. But advanced age or medical […]
- A second birthday
January 18, 2012
When Peggy Prevost learned in 2005 that she had a heart condition known as atrial fibrillation, she wasn’t about to let the diagnosis slow her down. A frequent swimmer and […]
- Giving thanks for life after lung transplant
December 1, 2011
She spent Thanksgiving with friends in Cedar Key that year, eating dinner and watching as a few of the men put up walls in the house being built on the […]
- Growing up
August 20, 2011
Underneath Jim Beau Reinhardt’s left lung, a synthetic patch stitched into place is helping him breathe. Jim Beau, who will turn 2 in November, was diagnosed with a congenital diaphragmatic...
- Eight UF surgeons included among country’s “top doctors”
August 12, 2011
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show eight UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known...
- U.S. News ranks Shands at UF among nation’s best hospitals
July 20, 2011
UF&Shands recognized in seven medical specialties
- Heart failure: Ventricular assist devices as destination therapy
July 9, 2011
Find answers to frequently asked questions about ventricular assist devices.
- Beaver elected to American Association for Thoracic Surgery
June 30, 2011
Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., has been elected as a new member of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery. He joins the prestigious organization’s more than 1,200 other members, cardiothoracic...
- Be part of the “Living Green Ribbon” aerial photo shoot
March 18, 2011
April is National Donate Life Month. Join UF&Shands in promoting awareness about organ and tissue donation.
- Orlando man gets fresh start as Shands celebrates 500th lung transplant milestone
January 3, 2011
Shands at the University of Florida recently celebrated a new milestone and gave a patient a fresh lease on life in time for the new year. Orlando resident Bhowani Sharma […]
- Two aneurysm repairs help man remain active
October 9, 2010
When Frank Andrews learned he had a massive aneurysm in his lower abdomen in 2003, he called his son, a physician living in California and a graduate of University of […]
- Remembering a young, popular heart surgeon
January 9, 2009
Colleagues and friends of Dr. Robert B. Beauford returned to work after the holiday break still coping with the sudden loss of the young surgeon, who died in the Houston Intercontinental […]